Starting your day off in a healthy way not only sets the stage for the rest of the day, but is essential in living a healthy lifestyle. Mornings can be brutal… or invigorating! It’s all in how you look at (or blend) it. Breakfast kick starts your metabolism and gives you the energy you need to get stuff done! I start every day with a supercharged smoothie. A healthy breakfast is crucial for energy, weight control and improved performance or anything else your day has in store. Smoothies are quick, easy, and can be the tastiest way to get many of the nutrients your body needs. “You will never change your life until you change something daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine”.
Not all smoothies are created equal. You can easily turn your breakfast into dessert by adding the wrong ingredients ( too much sugar). One cup of orange juice has over 20 grams of sugar! Stay away from fruit juices in general, and keep actual fruit to about one cup per serving. I use unsweetened almond milk as my base. Want to super charge it? Use green tea as your base!
Now for all the good stuff!! My go-to smoothie recipe will always include:
- Handful of greens – I add in a mix of spinach, kale, and chard, but you can mix and match these. The more greens you can eat in a day, the better!
- Half of an avocado – you can check out my previous blog post on how amazing avocados are for you. This good fat will help with the absorption of all the other nutrients it’s paired with (what a team player!), and helps you control your weight and improves your skin. No brainer.
- Handful of blueberries – fresh or frozen, these low sugar berries are high in antioxidants. They also turn your smoothie into a pretty purple shade if you have a hard time with green drinks, or want to make your own unicorn smoothie!
- Half of a banana – adding bananas to your smoothie will make them more creamy and delicious, adding a bit of sweetness and some magnesium as well.
- Frozen Cauliflower – You heard me… frozen cauliflower. This is next level smoothie making here. This will really up the nutrient value in your morning breakfast ( cruciferous veggies protect against cancers). I promise you can not taste the cauliflower in there, and it makes your smoothie creamy and smooth! I use about 1/4 a cup per serving.
- Cinnamon – besides tasting great, cinnamon lowers blood sugar, is high in antioxidants and helps with inflammation.
You can rotate greens and veggies and fruit with the season to keep things interesting. I am adding peaches right now, because they are just plain delicious.
Here comes the “super” charged part. Did you think that was all? We are not even close to being done yet. We can easily add even more nutrients to our morning smoothie. Add these “ extras” whenever you want. Theses are just a few of my personal favorites:
- Bee Pollen – Bee pollen contains all nutrients required by our bodies, and is richer in proteins than any animal source. It gives you energy, protects skin, and boost your immune system, and the fruit fiber in your smoothie boost the bee pollen benefits. One teaspoon is all you need of this inflammation fighting add-in.
- Protein – I have been using bone broth protein in my smoothies, because it is a great source for collagen (bring.. it.. on…). Bone broth is also good for joint health, detoxing, and healthy immune function. Did I mention it helps with collagen production? (I think I did)
- Amazing Grass – Amazing Grass is a product that I love. It is a powdered green superfood, with a powerful blend of greens, fruits, grasses, and probiotics. There are many varieties and flavors (even one for kids). One scoop of this add in takes your smoothie to whole new level of “good for you”.
- Hemp – I add about a teaspoon of hemp to my smoothies. It is a great source of protein, omega fatty acids, and magnesium. The hemp seed contains all of the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Chia Seeds – Chia is the Mayan word for strength! Chia seeds have more omega-3’s than salmon and are great source of fiber. They will keep you feeling full all day!
I personally think that health is dependent on our daily habits and nutrition. What is it they say…” an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”? Start your day off the right way, and you will make healthier decisions for the rest of the day. Good luck and enjoy the energy you are going to have all day because of your supercharged smoothie.
p.s. Daisy and Elvis want you to know that if you have left over smoothie, you can freeze it for summertime doggy treats. I really think they just wanted their picture in here…